Someone else's baby 9-11 Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Now I'm finish with chapter 9-11. This book is more and more exiting I really like that.

My word list:

Mrs Hicks smiles encouragingly. (uppmuntrande)

She points at the child in the sunbonnet.(hätta)

Miles and miles of Bristol is spread out below like a great grey tablecloth.(duk)

I'm wary now like a fox in the dark.(rädd)

Anyway he starts rabbitting on about his ex-wife.(tjata)

She and Prince are in this refuge for battered women.(skydd) (misshandla)

He's short and fat with eyes like currants in the suet pudding of his face.(vinbär) (stämma)

Smells of cat and turpentine and cabbage.(terpentin) (hösäck)

The bathroom is almost as large with a geyser.(gås??)

No prams in the hall, mind, and I'd want a deposit in advance with two kiddies.(barnvagn) (handpenning) (förskott)

You'll be flipping lycky, "Kitty says. He scowls.(hittar inte) (se bister ut)

I could only give you love and muddle and getting things wrong and failure.(förväxla)

The woman in the next bed moans and grasps the iron rail of her bed.(stöna) (gripa tag i)

Twisting and tightening.(spiralborr) (strama)

Like a giant has a corkscrew and is twisting it tight in my belly.(jätte) (korkskruv)

How you getting on? says the midwife flicking the sheet to look.(barnmorska) (snärta till) (blad)

Trolleys rattle in the corridor.(kundvagn) (irritera)

The pain is coming. Different. Overwhelming. Flabbergasting.(förkrossande) (chock)

Mrs Hicks hesitates, tucks the pink teddy bear under her arm.(tveksam)

It's chronic the way they boss you around in this place.(hopplös)

Red carnations, he says.(ljusröd)

I'm to flabbergasted. I daresay It's quite a shock.(paff)

I think It's ridiculous.(löjligt)

There's this girl on the phone, you lager louts.(lättöl, slyngel)

All right, Terry? he says very brisk and quarter deck.(uppigande) (halvdäck)

I suppose I can help out with my own daughter? We could get a little flat somewhere, just the two of us and the baby. If that´s what you want.

I think that the mother could imagine how Terry felt and how hard this affect her. When I wrote this sentence I got a picture in front of me, Terrys mother sitting in the kitchen and thinking about Terry, she want to help her but is it worth to risk all I have done so far?. I think that her heart saying that she should help her and the brain saying that she have to take the responsibility for her mistakes. She followed her heart and risk much just by help her daughter, this is a real mother who loves her daughter and has the braveness to stand up for her feelings. I elected this part because I tought about my mother, I know that if this would happened to me she would never helped me and she will never stand up for her feelings. I asked my father about this and he would't either helped me¨not with this circumstance. I think that this part is the best so far because It really capture my attention and my tought.

1 comments:

Åsa said...

I am glad you like the book!

A geyser in this context is a type of machine that heats up the water in a bathroom.

To be flipping lucky means that you are extremely lucky.

You lager louts I think is a British slang expression for "you lazy guys".

Good writing about the quote. It's really good that you made a reference to your own experiences. That's what literature does: we compare our own lives with the lives described in the story.

It surprised me a bit that the mother said that she will get an apartment for her and the daughter... I wonder how many parents would have done that.