Locked in time Thursday, December 4, 2008

Chapter 6-10

Here is my wordlist:

It was obvious that he was still fuming about not having been permitted to accompany us to Merveille. (följa med/göra sällskap)

Josie managed to drift surreptitiously.
(i smyg/hemlighet)

“Lunch is ready,” I said, trying to ignore her hostility.
(fientlighet)

In retrospect, I realized that the more i sifted through the sands of that strange conversation...(återblick)

The exchange between Lissie and Josie had taken on the semblance of a holf-remembered dream.
(skepnad)

“Are you crazy!” Josie exclaimed indignantly.
(upprörd)

“It certainly would,” I responded, matching his solemn tone.
(allvarliga)

He was at once both vague and seemingly candid.
(öppen/ärlig/uppriktig)

And so the slow-paced days of summer slid one into another,
indistinguishable expect for Wednesdays.
(skilja)

Despite her peculiarities, however, as the weeks slid past, I found myself developing a real fondness for my stepsister.
(egendomlighet)

The truth of the matter – that we had all of us become more than casual acquaintances during an evening spent together at the disco – was impossible for me to offer.
(bekantskap)

The words held no meaning for me, but the voice, low and gutteral like the growl of a predatory animal, made my flesh crawl. (morrande/brummande/morning)

My quote:

“You are not ugly,” I told her. “You’re at a terrible age-thirteen. Boy, do I remember how awful it was! You’re not a child any longer, and you’ve got all these strange, new feelings, but you’re not an adult either, so there’s nothing yet for you to do with them. What you’ve got to realize, Josie, is that everybody goes through this. In only a couple of years it will all be different.”
“No, it won’t!” Josie cried miserably. “Nothing’s ever going to change, Nore! Time keeps going by , but it just doesn’t count for anything!”

I choose this quote because I really thought this part of the text was touching . In this event, Dave has just been on a visit to ask Nore for a date. But Josie is interested of Dave and she become both disappointed and hurt. She tought Dave was coming to visit her. Although Nore told Dave that she was “busy” both of the days he asked her out, Josie deficiencies in tears. I think Josie deficiencies in tears because I have suspicions that the family is "locked in time". I think they have lived for many many years, but that they don’t grow old. There is much in the book that suggest this. Josie takes hard on this, because she knows that she’s not going to grow old. And that everything always will be exactly the same.

1 comments:

Åsa said...

It looks like you have revealed the secret of this family... Clever! :)

indistinguishable is the opposite of distinguishable. indistinguishable = impossible to separate from one another, things blur together into one