Locked in Time Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chapter 16-19

My list of words:


… I managed to ascertain that even if Lisette had been in her teens at the time of her first marriage, by the year 1931 she would have had to have been close to seventy years old. (fastställa, konstatera)

… which seemed to indicate that the certificates recording the deaths of Lisette’s earlier husbands were likely to be scattered about in other areas of the room. (spridd)

The paper was yellow and brittle with age, but the ink was still dark enough to be legible. (spröd, skör, bräcklig) (läslig, tydlig)

Reluctantly, I closed the diary and hauled myself to my feet. (motvilligt)

Once ensconced in the storage room out of the sight of Gabe and his mother, I covered my face with my hands and let the tears come. (gömma)

The quote I chose:


"What were those rites?" I asked, trying to conceal my eagerness. Was it possible that this woman could be in her fifties?
"They were the rites of the Bowl of Years." Her vocie was solemn. "Those who drink from the earthen bowl halt the progress of ageing."


She obviously drank from this bowl and from then on she never aged. And neither did Gabe and Josie. Everything was pretty obvious when I read this part. She made her children drink from that bowl too which was the reason why they didn't age too. And Nore finally found everything out.

If you think about it, it really isn't fun to not age because in that way you miss a lot. You may get a lot of experience of life, but it isn't worth it when you can't even age. Ageing is a big part of life that we all must go trough, no matter how much some hate it.
When you start to get a bit old, ofcourse you hate it because you want to stay young and beautiful forever, but after a while it starts to get really boring and not so great after all.

1 comments:

Åsa said...

Excellent!
Yeah, ageing may not be all that thrilling per se but what you lose in beauty you may gain in experience and wisdom, hopefully?!
Good writing, Zyrie!