Locked in time Monday, December 8, 2008

Chapter 11-15

Here is my wordlist:

“Going away together!” I repeated in bewilderment.
(förvirring)

“I–might,” I said hesitantly, reluctant to admit that I had been half in love with him ever since my first day at Shadow Grove. (motvillig)

These deceptively delicate-looking flowers, which had been sparsely scattered through the center of this wider portion of the river...(sparsamt)

Dad turned from his typewriter, obviously startled by my abrupt and unannounced entrance. (plötsliga)

Even to my own ears the results of my effort were little more than gibberish. (rotvälska/rappakalja)

My closer inspection now revealed to me that I had been wrong in my assumption that the picture had been taken recently and that the people in it were wearing costumes. (antagande)

No mail ever arrived there, except for business correspondence addressed to my father. (brevväxling/korrespondens)

It wasn’t until I had the phone directory open and was aimlessy flicking through the pages that I suddenly realized that I had forgotten the girl’s last name. (utan mål/planlös)

“That would have taste good,” Dave said, perspiration streaming down his face. (svetten)

My quotes:


“ Why can’t we wait, at least until we graduate from high school? That would give us some time to find out if we were really right for each other.”
“ That’s impossible,” said Gabe. “It has to be now, or it’s never.”
“Why?” I regarded him blankly. “I don’t understand.”
“ Of course you don’t. You’ll just have to take it on faith that I know what I’m talking about. Felicite didn’t understand either–at least, not at first.
“ Felicite? You mean, your old girlfriend?”
“ She wasn’t just a girlfriend,” Gabe told me. “She and I lived together like husband and wife for almost eight years.”
“ You couldn’t have done that” I exclaimed. “You’re just seventeen now! When did this big romance take place–when you were nine years old?”


In this part of the text, Gabe askes Nore if she wants to leave with him and go to a place where only the two of them can be together. A place were circumstances don’t excist. But Nore becomes shocked when she hears what Gabe has to say. The question he ask comes unexpectely. She’s not ready to take that step, and she doesn’t want to make her dad dissapointed. Gabe tells that Felicite, his old girlfriend was uncertain at first too. He tells Nore that they lived together as husband and wife for eight years. Of course Nore react to this. It’s not impossible that Gabe’s and Felicite’s romance took place, when Gabe was nine years old. Especially not if they lived together. In some way this part of the text is quite funny. Both Gabe and Josie, are saying things that doesn’t conform with the reality. I think Nore beginning to understand what is really going on, most because of Gabe's and Josie's mistakes.


“ What you’re talking about, though, is one family after another, all doing the exact same terrible thing.”
“ No it’s not,” I said. “What I’m talking about is just one family, doing the exact thing a number of times. I’m talking about a family with a secret, and that secret is that none of them ever age.”

In thise scene, Nore and Dave was visiting Charlie, a man who worked at Shadow Grove many years ago. Thanks to this visit, Nore finally get things clear. She has figured out the familys secret. But how will she handle the situation, and how will she convince her father that she is right..?


I look forward to read the end of the book ..

1 comments:

Åsa said...

Excellent! I also find this part quite funny. When I first read it it really confused me, but you seem to have figured it all out. Well done!