A Frightening Experience Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My family and I were going on a summer vacation to Kosovo and we always take the car because it's more exciting and we get to see lots of different places on the way. We were all excited because we hadn't been there for a very long time and we hadn't seen our relatives for almost 4 or 5 years so we were anxious to see them and my youngest uncle was also having his wedding that summer.
We had a very, very long way to drive, I think it was almost 3000 km, and my brother, sister and I always fought in the car because we got so bored out and we always argued about who was going to sit in the front seat. And then when we were driving through Germany, something happened there that still, to this day, frightens me every time I think about it.

It was pouring rain and then all the sudden we see flashing blue lights up in the sky and we heard a noise that sounded as if somebody dropped a bomb somewhere near us, but it was thunder. At first we didn't got scared because we had seen thunder before, but then the rain turned into hailstorm and my father couldn't see anything and we didn't even know if we were driving on the road anymore, so he slowed down to about 50 or 60 km/h. The road got so wet that it became aquaplaning, then all the sudden we heard a truck honk and my father hit the brake so hard that we almost hit our heads on the windshield. I got very scared and then I heard my mother scream "stop the car! Stop the car!". And so my father did and then we could finally see what was in front of us. It was a huge truck and we were almost a couple of decimetres to hit it.

My heart was beating so fast and I shook so hard that I could barely breathe. It was like my life just flashed before my eyes. It all happened so fast. My father told us to drink something and take deep breaths so that we would calm down.

It was probably the worst experience I've had in a car and I thank God none of us got hurt and also other people in their cars around us. After that time I was afraid to get in to a car but now I'm not so scared anymore. It was after all a couple of years ago. But I hope that it never happens again, neither me or anybody else for that matter.

1 comments:

Åsa said...

That's a frightening experience indeed. It makes you realize how quickly things can happen, doesn't it? The story is well told. You build up the tension and the drama of it by providing details, as well as describing thoughts and emotions.

Just check: we got so bored..all of a sudden/suddenly..we didn't get scared..