The First Day of My New Life Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The first day i started in a ”swedish school” was a long time ago but i remember it like it was yesterday, it wasn´t so bad after all. I know that all the schools in sweden are swedish of course, but in some schools most of the students are from different countries. In a school like that i used to go to. I was happy there, it was the place i had all my friends, i knew the area like my own home, but one day my parents told me that we where going to move. I was very sad, i even cried.

I started in a school where all the students were swedish. I remember i was waiting in the schoolyard with the rest of the students, i felt like i had rocks in my stomach. Within minutes the school clock rang everybody started to line up, i thought it look like they were in the military. Suddenly a young man with eyes that look like an angels eyes, came up to me, and said:
- Are you Maria? The new girl?
- Yes,i said
- Okey, i´m Björn, your new techer, follow me, he said with a smile.

I walked in to the class room where 30 students were eager to find out who i was. The rocks in my stomach started to shake. I quickly did a presentation of myself and sat down on a chair. In the break i talked to my new classmates and answerd all the questions they had for me, i soon realized that they didn´t talk the way that my old classmates and i did. They had a diffrent pronunciation and didn´t use slang. When the school day ended i was very relieved. I missed my old school and my old school mates.

Now, a few of years later i look back and think, of that time. I met some very good people, friends that i will never forget even if i don´t really talk to them so much anymore. The time i spent with them is one of the best memories i will keep with me for the rest of my life. I was very prejudiced, i thought they were dorky and talked funny, just because they were swedish. The way i thought back then i now think is very stupid. People are all the same no matter were they come from, some people are bad and some are good. You just have to get to know them first. Every decision we make changes our lives, most of the time we don´t notice it, and when i started in “Djupadal skolan” it changed mine.

1 comments:

Åsa said...

This story is very interesting from a teacher's perspective. Sometimes you tend to forget what it feels like to be the new student in a class. Your story comes alive with all the details and the emotions you bring to it. Thank God that Björn (with the eyes of an angel) showed up! :)

The concluding paragraph works really well when you look back on this experience and realize that you learned a lot from it. I love this line in particular: "every decision we make changes our lives, most of the time we don't notice it." How true!

Just check: I thought it looked like..eyes that looked like..