Locked in time Thursday, November 27, 2008

I'm reading "Locked in time" and I think the book is good this far. I think the book is exciting and I wanna read it all the time.


My wordlist:
1) I know the statement sounds vain = fåfängt
2) Bursting into his office to reassure myself that he had not vanished during my absence = frånvaro
3) The latch was stuck = ?
4) Would have had no business accommodating my father = rätta sig efter
5) Gave it a feeling of airy spaciousness = rymlighet
6) There stood a sofa upholstered in rose-colored velvet = stoppa/klä(möbler) - sammet
7) I breathed int he scent of gardenias = ?
8) It was so foreign to me that it was almost inconceivable = ?
9) A canopy of oak leaves closed in above me = valv
10) Dad´s income had leapt well into the six-figure bracket = ?
11) The clammy heat was affecting me like a sedative = lugnande (medel)
12) Such grief visions spattered my nights with regularity = sprätte
13) Josie shot back belligerently = aggressivt
14) The old Creole families consider themselves aristocracy = grupp av aristokrater
15) Their ancestors came here directly = förfäder
16) To watch a full moon rise slowly and majestically out of the trees = ?

The quote I chose was:

"Mother," I said, " what are you doing here? You´re suposed to be dead!"
" Not to you," the familiar voice said matter-of-factly. "I'm not dead to you, Nore. Now listen, because I have something important to tell you. I want you to repack your things and leave Shadow Grove immediately."
"Leave Shadow Grove?" I exclaimed. " But I´ve only just got here! Dad wants me to spend the summer. In September, I´ll be going back to school in New England."
"By September, it will be too late," my mother told me. "You and your father are both in terrible danger. You must talk to dad, you must tell him!"

I chose this quote because it made the entire book more exciting. Since I read that I've been wanting to read the book all the time, so I can find out why Nore and her father are in trouble, and what is going to happen with them.

1 comments:

Åsa said...

Yeah, that's a really good quote that gives you the creeps and it does make you wonder what is going to happen.

I will straighten some of the question marks out:

latch = dörrklinka (a type of lock on the door)

gardenias = it's "gardenia" in Swedish as well, a type of flower

inconceivable = impossible to imagine (otänkbart)

Dad's income had leapt (hans inkomst hade ökat, egentligen betyder leapt "hoppat", men ökat passar bättre här) ..into the six-figure bracket = till ett sex-siffrigt belopp

"such grief visions spattered my nights" sådana sorgliga syner återkom på nätterna

Majestically = majestätiskt (in a powerful way)