Locked in time Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I am reading the book Locked in time, written by Lois Duncan. I have just read the first five chapters and so far I think that the book seems to be really good.

Here is my wordlist:

The slanting, afternoon sunlight glinted off the windshield and rendered it opaque. (otydlig)

Clear, blue eyes squinted half closed against the sun. (kisa)

The latch that had never worked easily for my mother would have had no business accommodating my father now. (tillmötesgående)

The jovial note in his voice was so at odds with my own emotions that I couldn’t begin to respond to it. (gladlynt)

This road was bracketed by shrubs and pine woods, and the sky beyond them gleamed with the odd iridescent sheen of sunlight being fed through a prism. (regnbågsskimrande)

It was a question, I knew, that I had no business pondering. (begrunda, tänka över)

Lisette had been so adamant about the fact that Shadow Grove was home to her that I couldn’t imagine her consenting to move to Guilderland. (orubblig)

Her departure was followed by an uncomfortable silence. (avfärd)

Lisette hade not turned out to be the “wicked stepmother” that I had anticipated. (förvänta sig)

“Not me!” I said vehemently, not certain whether or not he was joking. (häftigt, våldsamt)

“So, what have you two early birds been doing?” she asked with a show of casualness. (nonchalant)

I can take an occasional break to check on the workmen. (tillfällig)

My quote:

This is Lisette, I thought incredulously. This is my father’s wife. “Be her friend,” Dad had begged me. “Will you try?”. Now, as I sat, staring at my stepmother, I suddenly realized that this choice was not going to be mine to make.

- I chose this quote because it proves that Nore is in a difficult situation. She doesn’t like the fact that her father has a new wife, but she doesn’t want to make her dad disappointed, although she doesn’t want to have a new “mom” or family. From now on, Lisette was the one who would be making the decisions at Shadow Grove and Nore would not be able to influence the decisions at all.

1 comments:

Åsa said...

That's exactly right. Nore is not particularly comfortable around her father's new wife...