Hii, I´m reading Locked in time and so far I think it´s really good. It´s getting more and more exiting and I can´t wait to read the rest of it.

Here is my word list:

-the out-of-doors gave it a feeling of airy spaciousness. (rymlighet)

-old fashioned firearms, and ornate, gold-rimmed mirrors. (utsmyckrad)

-sounding as proud of the fact as if he had hewn the tree himself. (huggit)

-where an array of colorful flower beds bordered a brick path. (samling)

-and a canopy of oak leafs clsed in above me. (lövvalv)

-the two French doors was muted and diffused. (utbredd, utspridd)

-there was strident edge to Lisette´s voice. (genomträngande)

-white tapers in antique silver. (vaxljus)

-the old creole families consider themselves aristoracy. (adliga)

-theire own life-style and customs and wierd superstitions. (tullar)

-they brought theire pagan religions with them. (hedniska)

-she loved the rural aspects of Shadow Grove. (lantliga)

-it seemed peculiar that she would have chosen to keep moving. (underligt)

-and the shock of the realization jolted me awake. (genomförande) (?)

-as I descended the staircase. (gick nedför)

-to do thatin someone else´s house seemed pretty presumptuous. (arrogant)

-and farther still a line of small, weathered buildings. (stående)

-a scent of so many intermingled perfumes. (blandade)

-as he drew abreast of me. (jämsides)

-and wood shacks that were so dilapidated that it was hard to imagine anyone´s ever having lived in them. (förfallna)

-of suck small importance in the total scheme of things. (planeringen)

-i chided myself. (skällde på)

-at the edge of my peripheral vision. (oväsenliga)

-i won´t be exactly entombed. (begravd)

-to protest the proclamation. (tillkännagivande)

-bouncing out of her surliness. (surmulenhet)

-a number of whom were denounced for having diluted the purity of theire bloodline. (fördömda) (förtunnat)

-the girl gasped incredulously. (skeptiskt)

-she stood fidgeting impatiently while long moments passed. (otåligt)

My quotes, I had to chose two:

"I stared into those luminous eyes, and a chill shot through me. What I saw there was not the promise of friendship, but of something strange and sinister. The shocking word that flashed through my mind was death."

-This "quote" kind of told me that this was going to be an exciting novel to read. I feelt som tention and I really wanted to continue reading the next chapter.

"Watching the silent interplay between mother and children, I experienced once again the feeling that I was missing out on something. It was though these three family members had known each other so long and so intimately that they no longer found it necessary to communicate with words."

- This part kind of gave me the chills. Because you have already started to wonder if they have been living for a really long time. And you are starting to link them to the titel of the novel " Locked in time ". It´s just getting better and better.

~Emma.

2 comments

Åsa said...

Brilliant, Emma! It's fine that you have picked more than one quote. You seem to have some clues already to the mystery of this story...

Åsa said...

...just a couple of comments on the words. In some cases it is tricky to know which meaning of the word that works in a specific context. Overall you have done a good job finding the correct translations!

"Customs" can be both "tull" as in "They passed through customs at the airport", and "vanor" (like habits): Their own life-style and customs = habits, in this context.

"The shock of the realization jolted me awake" means roughly: den insikten gjorde mig klarvaken.

"weathered buildings" could mean a couple of different things, but in this case I think the buildings have been a bit destroyed by the weather (förfallna, väderbitna byggnader).

"My peripheral vision" refers to something you just catch a glimpse of in the corner of your eye. The word peripheral in other contexts is "oväsentlig" like you said, something that is not particularly important.

That's all :)