The Freedom Writers Diary Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"That night before I went to bed, I made a promise to myself that I will never steal anything else or do anything stupid like that ever again. Not only did I cause my parents pain, but I also threw away my own pride and good judgement trying to be someone I'm not."

I think she really understood here that doing something stupid like stealing was not going to make her cool at all. Sometimes you feel that you have to do something "cool" in order for other "cool" people to think that you are cool, but sometimes that can't always turn out to be something good. And I found this part interesting because I myself have been in the same situation. And I, like this girl, realized at last that it didn't work out at all to do stupid things for others to think you're somebody.

" Zlata and I lost our childhood innocence because we were denied the right to do childlike things, like go to school, talk on the phone, and just play outside. The buildings were burning and people got beaten up just because the color of their skin, their religion, or ethnicity. Unfortunately, we both had to suffer because of others people's ignorance and destruction."

This part actually spoke to me because my parents have been in that situation a long time ago when the Serbs occupied Kosovo and didn't let the Albanians do a lot of things. At that time they weren't aloud to go out without an ID-card on them or passport. If they were caught without an ID-card or passport, they would get beaten up by the Serbs. So I can actually relate to this situation. And it's really sad that some people can't get along at all because of silly things like the color of their skin or ethnicity. You should be able to accept everybody because we're all human after all.

"His history was written to expose the war in Bosnia and its similarity to the Holocaust. Knowing that people are getting murdered and that thousands of women were being raped is shocking. It makes me both sad and angry because history is indeed repeating itself."

I thought this part was very interesting because it's so true, what this person says. No matter how many times we get to hear that things like this happen in wars or on the whole, some never learn. People tend to make the same mistakes over and over again no matter how bad the consequences are. Why? Maybe because it lies in the human nature? Or because that some people never learn from their mistakes. However, it's really upsetting that bad things like murder and rape still occur in the world.

0 comments