What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Friday, October 24, 2008

I will start by saying that i liked the movie alot because it was really sad and also full of love.

The scene that i rememeber the best in the movie is the scene were Gilbert introduces Becky to his mum. I remember that scene the best because it really touched me. He had never introduced his mother to anybody and I think Becky felt really honored when he did it for her. I think his mum was happy about it too, since she thought that all her kids were ashamed of her because she was so fat. Gilbert was luckily able to prove to her that it wasn't like that before she past away.

Gilbert had alot of responsibility in the family. You could tell that by how hard he had work to support the family, and how he took care of everybody in the best way, especially his little brother Arnie who was disabled. He barely had time to think about himself. But it was very good of him to do what he did, to understand his mum as much as he did. She had become really sick since his dad died, so she couldn't take care of the family, so he felt like it was his responsibility to do it instead. Gilberts oldest sister helped out as much as she could too. In a family like that I think the whole family has to try to help eachother as much as they can and stick together, cause it really is not easy if they don't do that.

After Gilbert met Becky I don't think he changed that much. He started to think a bit more about him self and about how he wanted to live. But other than that he was the regular Gilbert, taking care of his family and loving them as much as he had always done.

I think that it is both a good thing and a bad thing of Gilbert to put everybody else first and never think about himself. The good thing, is that if he had only thought of himself and never cared about the family they hadn't sticked together as good as they did in the end. I think that it was very strong of him to be able to do that. But the bad thing is that never thinking about yourself would make him feel bad in the end, and he wouldn't even know who he is.

I can understand that Gilbert felt that way, it was a really big responsibility to be like a parent to Arnie and take care of him as much as he did. It was like a full-time job to him, and everybody needs a brake from work sometimes, but he couldn't get that, ever. I think everybody would have felt like he did if they would have been in his situation. But despite that, he loved his brother more than anything and I don't think he really meant what he said when he said that he sometimes didn't want him to live.

I think Arnie meant that he could die anytime, and he knew about it. I also think he understood much more than they thought he did, and that is why he said that.

The most important message in the movie is to me, that family is more important than anything, and that you need to stick together no matter what happens and how tough it gets. I also think that a part of this message is about realizing that nobody loves you and will take care of you as much as your family will, just like Gilbert took care of Arnie.

I think that after the movie ends Gilberts sisters will continue on going to school and working, and later on even get married and live a good life. Gilbert and Arnie will continue on traveling and discovering the world with Becky and her grandmother. Eventually, Arnie will die, and so will Beckys grandmother. And Gilbert will have a very happy life with the love of his life, as he also diserves after all the hard work he did.

2 comments

Åsa said...

Good writing! I think you touch on some important issues in your post and you sum up your viewing experience nicely: the movie is really sad but also full of love. I agree.