Hi
I remember the scene when Gilbert forced Arnie to take a bath. Arnie was so afraid that he ran away all the time until Gilbert gaps Arnie and hits him several times think that Gilbert didn’t mend to hit Arnie but he got confused and his anger took over. And the next day when Gilbert saw Arnies bruised face he felt so sorry and it looked like he wanted to take it back but he couldn’t. When I saw this scene my eyes got filled with tears. It felt like I knew what Gilbert felt.
And the scene when Arnie goes to his mom and finds her dead was so sad. Than Gilbert decided that he didn`t want to let his mom become a joke so he burned the house with his mom. I felt so sad that I was so close to cry. I remember those scenes best because it brought up many emotions. And thats two things that i dont want to get through I not sure that i can handle those situations in a good way likke Gilbert. He took big decision and responsibility.

Gilbert supports his family. He is the one working, taking care af his mentally handicaped brother and the whole house. First of all i think that his mom should take more responsibility and not get so fat and so helpless. She should at least take care of her mentally handikaped son. And Ellen should help her sister Amy a bit more.

I dont think Gilbert changes at all when he meets Becky.
Putting yourself first its good when comes to people you love and as long as they dont use you.
When Gilbert says "somedays you want him to live and somedays you dont" about Arnie.
I think he means that for all the love and respect he wants him to live but it is very hard to take care of him because he is very provoking.
When Arnie says " I can go anytime". I think he means that he can die anytime or that he dosent have so much longer to live.
I think that the most inportand messenge in the movie is that there are young people that takes responsibility for a whole family and has a hard live.
Amy gets hired at a bakery, Allan moves near her school and contunies studing , Gilbert and Arnie stays together and travels around with Becky.

By Gjulsha op1b

1 comments:

Åsa said...

Your post is really brave in the sense that you are questioning the mother's role. I tend to get upset with her too and I was thinking that she needs to take more responsiblity as a parent and an adult. The roles are reversed in the Grape family and too much pressure is put on the kids. Good point!